herpes symptoms

sign and symptom of herpes, early herpes symptom, genital herpes symptom, oral herpes symptom...

Friday, May 05, 2006

Asian Dinner Delights

We have traveled to the land of the Rising Sun and indulged in sushi; have visited the beautiful French coast and were treated to a mussel feast; and recently got stuffed with pasta from Italy. What could possibly be next? How about what most Americans refer to as "Chinese"? You see calling such food Chinese is doing it an injustice, as Oriental food is as diverse as it gets.
So break out the chopsticks, and let us indulge in different types of food you may have referred to as Chinese (up to now, of course). There are five main classifications, so let us begin with some appetizers.


entrée


Sweet and sour soup
Won ton soup
Egg roll
Imperial roll
Spring roll

vietnamese style

The most memorable Vietnamese style dish is actually a soup, or Pho. I spent almost half my salary at my previous job on the most succulent broth-like soups you will ever have at a local Vietnamese joint. A popular way of preparing Pho is to have a boiling vegetable water base, and add some meat (either chicken or strips of beef -- not ground), green onions and noodles. This soup is best served by adding a couple of dashes of spicy sauce; soya (who could get enough of that?); limejuice; srpouts; and you are on your way. Carry a napkin or two, as the heat and spice will have you sweating like a madman.

thai style

I was not a big fan of Thai at first because I dislike satay sauce (a peanut butter base sauce). Now, despite the many peanut butter and jelly sandwiches I have had, they were consumed in the morning, not after drinking binges when you want something sour, salty or spicy. Nonetheless, if you like peanut butter sauces, then this is for you. I am sure you will enjoy it.
That was then and this is now. A very special woman re-introduced me to Thai not too long ago: grilled vegetables and (sometimes fried) meat, always reinforced with a hint of ginger.


cantonese & hong kong style

I have a bias. I grew up on rice, so rice is very non-exotic to me. Whenever I have the choice, I go with noodles. Not soft noodles (or Low Mein ), but rather the crispy fried ones (or Chow Mein ). Chow Mein has a greasy taste (in a great way) and fried texture that is rather irresistible.
Several variations come with vegetables, and various meat and seafood. A popular dish is Cantonese style Chow Mein (fried noodles, vegetables, chicken, beef, shrimp, and a great 'creamy' sauce). There are two points that I must elaborate on however:

First; the vegetables. Some restaurants impose red and green peppers, onions, and Chinese broccoli. I can live with the Chinese broccoli, but please, spice that baby up. I recommend baby corns, mushrooms, regular broccoli, and even eggplant.

By Gregory Cartier